Stan,

No I knew you were referring to the Ledger and I think David did also though he
linked to the help on the Journal.

Unfortunately, it seems the Help file needs a tweak. (or the software) The link
he gives describes in fact, the General Ledger. The terminology on the title
and within the help article are inconsistent with the naming in the software.
(though Journal is probably the more historically correct term, the two might
be interchangeable)

In the software, the General Journal is a report you can run that shows ALL
transactions. (under the Assets & Liabilities sub-menu) You can’t enter
anything into it. There is no date selector in the options, and the Filter By…
in View is not available.

Since I don’t close books I see everything when I look at either. Perhaps
someone who uses that procedure might see only the current accounting period -
I’m not sure.

To add to the confusion, there is also a General Ledger report located in that
same menu. However, it seems to be the same as the Transaction Report and is
much more versatile than the General Journal report.

For the record, I don’t see any separate ‘tool’ or ‘register’ called General
Journal at least not in my copy of 2.6.19.

Regards,
Adrien