Interesting, in my emails from Gnucash I do not see any headers with tags
mailing-list
mailed-by

On most of them I see a tag
List-id
But that is not a field I can filter on from my ISP

In this message from Dave I see my email as the to: and
Gnucash Users <gnucash-user@gnucash.org  as the CC: but there is no List-id

The only lists I see in my inbox today with a mailing-list tag are from yahoo-groups.

So the filters Dave suggests would be incomplete, a CC is also needed.
Maybe also a 'From' just to be sure?

The emails from the list seem to have a variety of header forms, perhaps depending on the mailers used for the reply, or the reply-to or reply-list or reply-all forms. Seems hard to keep track of all the possibilities.

Instead of requiring 2-3 or more filters for each list, the subject code allows a single filter to do the job, consistently, never misses.