I ended switching all 7 of mine to yahoo_json, and it took a variety of efforts:  updating F:Q from 1.46 to 1.47, closing and opening Gnucash, making sure I had no AlphaVantage accounts lurking in the securities editor....   Not sure which of those things made it work, but it's working smoothly now.  My guess is the upgrade to F:Q was the key, but maybe reopening GnuCash caused it to recognize that update.