On 9/14/26 11:02, Paul Kroitor wrote:

PS: I do realize there's an http request log by default, and it's an interesting moral question about whether keeping such a log but never looking at it is or is not an invasion of privacy. But if you're not sure, a simple frequency histogram function (awk?) that went through the log and listed the top one or two users would presumably maintain one's moral high ground.

Sorry, but I believe there is absolutely *no* expectation of privacy when it comes to web/application logs. At least in the sense that the entity providing the internet facing service will use those logs for analytics as well as troubleshooting/debugging issues.


As for me allowing public access to the F::Q stats which contain IP, F::Q version, and F::Q method, that is where the gray area begins. But as I said, users can opt out. And if I get a large amount of protests, I will just make those statistics visible only to myself (which I may do anyway).


BTW - some months back, it was these logs that helped me debug an issue a user was having with AlphaVantage constantly reporting he was at the request limit for his API key. I worked with him and we discovered that he had another computer fetching price data. A process that he had forgotten to disable/stop.


Bruce S

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to