Dear Theo,

That link didn't work for me. I agree with those observations. I also find
it ludicrous that such 'high impact factor' journals feel they can charge
much higher prices for hybrid gold (even though they provide exactly the
same services) relative to the 'lower impact factor' journals who may even
be of a higher technical quality e.g. Pensoft Publishing journals & and
their XML and other additional services.

Have you seen my plot of Gold OA prices by publisher/society?
http://rossmounce.co.uk/2012/09/04/the-gold-oa-plot-v0-2/
and version 0.1 here
http://rossmounce.co.uk/2012/08/30/a-visualization-of-gold-open-access-options/

The data behind this is also freely available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtbO6mZEvieCdDFzdkVNQld6Mnc5NEpGWVlRUVhvM3c

perhaps it might be nice to merge our data if there is any overlap?

Best,

Ross

On 12 October 2012 15:11, ANDREW Theo <theo.and...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'd like to draw your attention to a piece of work we have carried out
> which looks at Gold OA fees and journal impact factors:
>
> http://libraryblogs.is.ed.ac.uk/openscholarship/2012/10/02/impact-cost/
>
> In short, it appears that 1) hybrid journals generally charge more than
> full OA journals independent of journal impact factor, and 2) hybrid
> journals with high impact factors charge significantly more than other
> types of journal for gold open access.
>
> I find this apparent correlation between journal impact factor and cost
> worrying and would welcome feedback. Is this something that other people
> are seeing or have we got our facts wrong?
>
> Kind regards, Theo
> __________________________
> Theo Andrew
> Research Publications Service
> Edinburgh University Library
>
> tel.      0131 651 3850
> web.   http://bit.ly/UoE-RPS
> post.   4 Buccleuch Place,
>              Edinburgh, EH8 9LW.
> skype. theoandrew
>

> --

Ross Mounce
PhD Student & Open Knowledge Foundation Panton Fellow
Fossils, Phylogeny and Macroevolution Research Group
University of Bath, 4 South Building, Lab 1.07
http://about.me/rossmounce