On 2012-10-12, at 11:48 AM, Ross Mounce wrote:

> The high price of these hybrid gold OA options is only a problem if
> researcher obsession with journal impact factor (JIF) is immutable.
>
> I believe this behaviour can be changed (and is already changing, moving the
> prestige to gold OA) and authors can be taught to submit to appropriate
> low-cost gold OA journals rather than expensive high JIF hybrid outlets. The
> final product is largely similar after all...

I don't detect having mentioned journal impact factors below.
I spoke only of peer review quality standards.

(The correlation between the two is probably not zero, though,
but a journal needs a track-record to demonstrate it. And authors
need to know.)

Universal Green OA, followed by Gold OA for no-fault peer-review alone,
moots all of this.

And (to reply to Jan) subscription journals certainly would not dare
to charge a no-fault submission fee today; nor would today's Gold
OA journals.

But the post-Green ecology will be very different. Once journal
publication is just peer-review service provision, it will be quite
obvious and natural for it to be no-fault, rather than to continue
bundling the cost of rejected papers into the price of accepted
ones.

Stevan Harnad