hi Didier,

Thank you for raising good questions to further our understanding of the issues.

On 2015-04-08, at 10:45 AM, Didier Pelaprat wrote:

> Hi to all,
>

> Before all, maybe I did not properly understand what is the topic. If yes,
> please tell me sincerely.
>

> I understood the topic was on  whether there was or not a risk of closure
> brought by a CC-by license, or any orher mean by which a scientific
> publication may be freely accessible to every usage, including "commercial
> use".
>
> Did I understand properly?

In my opinion, yes. There is no consensus on this topic.

> If yes, in order that I can figure out the consequences of this or that,
> please could somebody remind me what is exactly under the terms "commercial
> use" when written in the context of the CC license or other debates on free
> access to scientific publications/contributions?

This is the simple description from the CC license main website: "This license
lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even
commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation" - from:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

The legal code, available here, does not define commercial use:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode

If you are using a translated license, the precise wording may not be the same
as the CC main site.

There is no consensus on what constitutes commercial use. I argue that it is
important to focus on the main commercial use for copyrighted works: actually
selling the works for money, and not getting confused by the grey areas of what
constitutes commercial use.

Other debates on free access is too broad a question to easily answer.

> In other words:
>

> -which precise object(s)  is (are) under the license?

This is a very good question, Didier. Even when works are licensed as CC-BY, it
is common for scholarly works to include third-party works which may have a
different license. There are also neighbouring rights in copyright; for
example, if a CC-BY licensed work includes a photograph of someone, the person
in the photo may have additional rights. Even in the case of one CC-BY work
included within another one, there are two separate requirements for
attribution. I think the push for CC-BY reflects to some extent a desire for
simplicity; but it really is not that simple.

Note also that even publishers that use the CC-BY license do not necessarily
use this license for everything on their website. Public Library of Science,
for example, has a trademarked logo.

> - which  exact objects are susceptible to be sold?

Any object with a license that permits commercial use.

> - which objects are authorized (CC-by) or forbidden (other) to be sold
> against money, when one speaks of "commercial use"?

Any work licensed CC-BY can be sold for money or used for other (unspecified)
commercial uses.

> - and how does this generate or not a risk of closure, if the paper is in
> free public access (either in an open repository, or on the author website,
> or on both, or on the publisher website, or... or on  all of thoses
> altogether)?

If the paper is available for free access in a variety of places, this greatly
decreases the risk of enclosure. This is why I recommend that works be
available in multiple open access archives, even if they are published in open
access journals.

If papers are available as free access in only one or two places, here are some
examples of the danger:

Publisher website: publishers and journals come and go and change hands all the
time. Plus, a fully open access publisher is completely within their rights to
change their business model at any time.

Author website: authors are under no obligation to maintain their websites, and
author websites do disappear; for example, these may be on an institutional
server that is abandoned by the university. This is not a secure storage
system, one of the main reasons why authors should use institutional
repositories rather than personal websites.

Open repositories: this is a much better option in my opinion. Here, it is best
if works are NOT licensed CC-BY. There is always a danger that the owners of
repositories could decide to charge for their service in providing the works.
This is one reasons why I argue that the MIT open access policy is an
improvement over Harvard's. Harvard's says that works will be disseminated "but
not for a profit", while MIT's specifies open access. The danger with "not for
a profit" is it leaves the door open to fees for cost-recovery. Most OA
repositories that I am familiar with have quite sensible policies.

Thanks again for raising the questions.

Heather Morrison