Hi all,

Note. It seems that Heather Morrison and I wrote our posts simultaneously.
You'll find that our explanations are quite similar (a good thing for the both
of us).

- - - - - - -

To determine what a CC license allows (or forbids) one to do, one has to
carefully distinguish between the Licensor (the one who holds the rights to the
work) and the Licensee (everyone else, called "Downstream recipients", or "You"
in the CC license code).

The CC licence is indeed irrevocable, meaning that even the rights holder can't
cancel it. But it's also non-exclusive, meaning that the rights holder can
simultaneously distribute the work under different conditions and/or
restrictions, even without using any user license. For instance, he or she may
sell the work without mentioning the existence of the CC license, because
Attribution (and other conditions) apply only to those who obtain rights as CC
Licensees. Note that the rights holder can be the author, or any third party
(e.g. a publisher) to which the author has transferred copyright or granted
publishing rights.

This brings us back to two situations mentioned in this forum before the actual
discussion.

1. Third parties reselling a CC BY work (without the right holder
authorization). This is legal, but mentioning that the work is under a CC BY
licence is required by the Attribution condition, and a hyperlink to the
original (no doubt OA) must be provided. The only ways to make this a business
practice is through customer delusion (hoping that they don't understand what a
CC license is and/or that they are too lazy to look for a free copy), or by
plain violation of the license conditions. This has happened and been reported
in this forum.

2. Rights holders (for instance, publishers having obtained exclusive rights)
deciding at some time to offer the same work but now under different
conditions. The CC BY license is still in force, but the publisher is not
required to display it (not being the Licensee mentioned in the CC License,
it's not bound by its conditions). This is one of the scenarios envisioned by
Heather Morrison. I'm not aware that this happened, and don't think it's likely
to happen. If copies of the work are available elsewhere, this is identical to
situation #1. In the worst case, one person would have to buy a copy and put it
online (in a repository, for instance) with the CC license.

Finally, I think it's worth repeating that depositing in repositories even CC
BY articles is the best way to avoid these situations. Just look at the
prominence of OA versions in Google Scholar research results. People will find
them.

Marc Couture