I agree with Jan. Read the Budapest Declaration of Open Access (Jan was a
signatory). It is one of the most compelling documents in the last decade.
(I have been tweeting it today):

"he public good they make possible is the world-wide electronic
distribution of the peer-reviewed journal literature and completely free
and unrestricted access to it by all scientists, scholars, teachers,
students, and other curious minds. Removing access barriers to this
literature will accelerate research, enrich education, share the learning
of the rich with the poor and the poor with the rich, make this literature
as useful as it can be, and lay the foundation for uniting humanity in a
common intellectual conversation and quest for knowledge."

This is technically possible today. We should be interchanging knowledge at
all levels if we are to use knowledge to help support people and the
planet. The Ebola outbreak in Liberia was predicted 35 years ago - it's
still behind a paywall.  I can mine the whole scientific literature every
day for predictions of new viral outbreaks, of antibiotic resistance, of
the spread of crop pests. of drug safety, of the effects of climate, ...
It's all possible, except I will be sued by the publishers and hounded by
senior academics.

Either we see published knowledge as a critically important good, too
precious not to use to the full ...
... or we perpetuate a system that deprives 90+% of humanity and often
makes knowledge worse.

P.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 12:18 PM, Velterop <velte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The thing is, Chris, that payments, be they APCs or subscription charges,
> are for the 'service' of publisher-mediated peer review (plus 'prestige
> ribbons') and access to publisher-mediated peer-reviewed (and 'ribboned')
> articles. They are not for publishing one's research results per se. That
> can be done at no cost or at very low, often negligible, cost. For instance
> via 'preprint' facilities or other repositories. I realise that for many a
> researcher having 'ribbons' pinned on their articles is important for
> career advancement and possibly also for reputation, but that is where the
> real problem lies. As long as the scholarly culture expects and demands
> publisher-mediated peer review and the 'prestige ribbons' associated with
> that, there will be a cost beyond the generally (very, or negligibly) low
> cost of just making one's articles publicly and freely available – open –
> to be reviewed, commented on, assessed, etc. by the community at large. The
> process of proper scientific discourse, in other words. That's where
> scicomm/scholcomm should be headed. I hope you agree.
>
> Best,
>
> Jan
>

> Jan Velterop
>
> velte...@protonmail.com
>
> On 25/04/2018 12:17, Chris Zielinski wrote:
>
> Richard,
>
> In this context, you may be interested in a post I recently submitted to
> the Healthcare Information for All (HIFA) list in the context of a HIFA
> discussion of this topic:

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069