From: goal-boun...@eprints.org <goal-boun...@eprints.org> on behalf of Richard
Poynder <richard.poyn...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 10:46:48 AM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: Re: [GOAL] North, South, and Open Access: The view from Egypt with
Mahmoud Khalifa

Heather,

Personally, I think that any statement that says that most OA journals do not
charge an APC needs to be set alongside the following blog post by Hilda
Bastian:

http://blogs.plos.org/absolutely-maybe/2018/04/02/a-reality-check-on-author-access-to-open-access-publishing/

Extract:

'Technically, the “most journals don’t charge authors” statement could well be
true. Most open access journals may not charge authors. The source that’s used
to support the claim is generally DOAJ – the Directory of Open Access Journals.
One of the pieces of meta-data for journals in DOAJ is whether or not the
journal levies an APC – an author processing charge for an open access (OA)
publication.

But I think this is a data framing that’s deeply misleading. And it does harm.
As long as people can argue that there are just so many options for fee-free
publishing, then there will be less of a sense of urgency about eliminating, or
at least drastically reducing, APCs. As Kyle Siler and colleagues show in the
field of global health research, the APC is adding a new stratification of
researchers globally, between those who can afford open publishing in highly
regarded journals, and those who can’t.'

Richard

On 25 April 2018 at 15:16, Heather Morrison