Heather,

Personally, I think that any statement that says that most OA journals do
not charge an APC needs to be set alongside the following blog post by
Hilda Bastian:

http://blogs.plos.org/absolutely-maybe/2018/04/02/a-reality-check-on-author-access-to-open-access-publishing/

Extract:

'Technically, the “most journals don’t charge authors” statement could well
be true. Most open access journals may not charge authors. The source
that’s used to support the claim is generally DOAJ – the Directory of Open
Access Journals. One of the pieces of meta-data for journals in DOAJ is
whether or not the journal levies an APC – an author processing charge for
an open access (OA) publication.

But I think this is a data framing that’s deeply misleading. And it does
harm. As long as people can argue that there are just *so many* options for
fee-free publishing, then there will be less of a sense of urgency about
eliminating, or at least drastically reducing, APCs. As Kyle Siler and
colleagues show in the field of global health research, the APC is adding a
new stratification of researchers globally, between those who can afford
open publishing in highly regarded journals, and those who can’t.'

Richard

Richard Poynder
www.richardpoynder.co.uk