Hi Miguel,

Firstly, I think it is quite obvious that one will necessarily hold a
passport of the country he/she is a citizen of. Unless, of course, you
know people who hold passports of countries they are not citizens of????
Pardon me; I could not understand what you meant. Rui clearly stated he
is a Portuguese citizen from birth. So, obviously he holds a Portuguese
passport (or am I missing something here?)
Maybe you wish to refer to those who claim they are Indian citizens and
hold other passports for convenience and opportunism? Perhaps? I know
there are thousands of those!
Also, when referring to your cousin, why did you mention "His parents
were Portuguese nationals of Goan birth/descent"? Weren't your parents
in the same situation?  And don't you think that is the case for the
very large majority of members in this forum?
The word that comes to my mind is redundancy. And there is a lot of it
in your post.
 
Secondly, I cannot understand why you brought Mocambique into this
thread. Unless, of course, you wanted to introduce your most important
relatives who were there too serving the first president of that
Republic? Fair enough. OK. I am now aware of that. 

Thirdly, no points given for your sarcasm. Rui's posts in this forum
have been responses to false statements and non-factual based opinions.
It all started with you issuing false statements (at least twice and
both with extreme confidence) that Fundacao Oriente runs casinos in
Macau, to which Rui thought it deserved correction to re-establish the
truth. Of course, many other members of this forum also knew the truth,
but then, it probably did not serve their agenda to correct false
statements of this kind. No. It is far better and more important to
criticize the way the Portuguese restore their monuments and keep the
Portuguese bashing very much alive. 

Fourthly, I do not think Rui was giving his advice to anyone. He was
merely expressing his opinions. As you must have noted, all of Rui's
posts were responses to other posts (you yourself referred to them as
"quite well balanced and almost fair" opinions).
As I recall, it wasn't Rui who started comparing Goa/India with
Portugal. I, myself, do not see much sense in that comparison. But it
all started when he merely replied to observations like Goa achieved
democracy at least 10 years before Portugal. I am still to be convinced
what kind of democracy that was. 
- How many years after 1961 was statehood achieved and Konkani language
recognized? 
- When did Goans vote/decide for integration/merger with India? 
- When was the instrument of accession and/or instrument of merger
proposed and signed?
- And what kind of liberation is this when an alien government takes
over a territory by force, imposes their law and does not even care for
the population's opinion? (ever!). Very good democracy indeed. And of
course, almost the same happened in all the other princely states just
after 1947. But at least in those states, the respective maharaja's were
"democratically" forced (or shall I say persuaded) to sign the
instruments of accession and merger (with perhaps the exception of
Kashmir who never signed the instrument of merger). In Goa, we were not
even given the choice (before or after 1961). It would have been nice to
have been given the choice after 1961. I would have expected at least
that from the so called largest democracy of the world.
And please, do not try to convince me we were all Indians in Goa anyway
and that India existed as a country for a million years so Goa should
have been also given back to India. We were all Indians just like the
Pakistanis were all Indians! So, why don't we call them Indians too? As
for the country we now call the Republic of India, it is nothing else
but a post-British period invention with 56 years now. And Goa, was
never before a part of it!
 
Lastly, Miguel, in future, please talk for yourself. I cannot remember
anyone asking you to represent all of us Goans in this forum. You
certainly do not represent me. I respect your opinion but we are all
different individuals and certainly have different ideas. Like Rui, I am
here to discuss my opinions, not to advice anyone.

BTW, will I ever have the pleasure of knowing your surname? Is it
Braganca? Or are you too ashamed of your Portuguese surname to mention
it?
 
No cheers today!

Paulo Colaco Dias



-----Original Message-----
From: Miguel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]



Dear Netters,
 
>From the text of the postings from Rui two things are clear:
1.He believes he is Portuguese( Absolutely nothing wrong in that: He was
born a Portuguese national in Mocambique.He lives as a Portuguese
national, citizen ,and most probably[he has not stated this in any of
his postings that I have read],is a Portuguese passport holder.There is
no dichotomy in his thinking.)
2.He does not accept the independence of Mocambique as having any effect
on
him by virtue of having been born in that country or growing up there.
It is
not his native land,he was just born there.[ His response to the
independence is the third option. My uncle came back to Goa after
1975.His
first cousin,Aquino Braganca, stayed back as the Advisor to the first
President of Mocambique,Samora Machel,and died with him in a plane
crash.
'Gosto e relative': Tastes differ!] His parents were Portuguese
nationals of
Goan birth/descent.He is Portuguese.
 
Having said that,I do not understand why he waxes eloquent on Goa (pre-
and
post- liberation/invasion of 1961) What is Goa to him: a topic for
discussion on the Goanet?Like Mocambique or Timor is to many Goans?His
interest in Goa and Goans is as academic as my interest in Pangea and
the
primates or the stne age man.
 
Or is there some emotional bonding with Goa.Saudades,perhaps,lying
hidden
below his consciousness. Eating chocolates is reported to help overcome
bouts of such feelings.[ in vivo research was done on jilted lovers or
those
prone to unrequited romance] Bernado does not need to eat chocolates for
,as
one psycho-analyst friend  once said to me,"The love of oneself is the
beginning of a life-long romance."That should sustain him till the
grave.
 
Lastly,if Goans have been able to handle their birth rate,mortality
rates,life expectancy,per capita income,politicians ,elections and
social
indicators to be the best state in India and live just one year less
that
our brethren in Portugal,do we really need advice from good
intentioned,well-meaning ,well educated and widely travelled Portuguese
citizens???
 
If we need, we will ask. We even have the email IDs of possible
consultants
in this context. Why the unsolicited advice ad nauseam?
To his credit,I will say that Rui has kept his postings quite well
balanced
and almost fair.That I do not agree with his assesment and compulsion to
advise us Goans in Goa how to be more Goan [Mais papista du que
Papa--More
Pope-like than the Pope himself] is another matter. I hope we can wind
up
this thread on the so-called 'bharati invasion' (the Portuguese have
every
right to think of it that way) of 1961 and move on to topics of mutual
benefit. This benefits no one. There is no question of Rui repatriating
to
Goa: he is not an ex-patriate from here.He is happily living in his
Patria.
He should let us live peacefully in our Matria,Amchem Goem amkam zai!!
 
Warm regards to all,
 
Miguel
 


##########################################################################
# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       #
# PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/              #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #
##########################################################################

Reply via email to