I invented a chess variation called: Elphaba Chess
This is just like International Chess except that the queen can't capture
the opponent's pieces and it can't be captured --- it is just used for
blocking.

I would like to write a program to play this game, but writing that from
scratch is beyond me.
Perhaps I could find a public-domain open-source chess program and modify
it to use my rules. I would have to change the legal-move code to eliminate
captures by the queen or captures of the queen.
Other than that, the program should work fine. Check-mate is still the
goal. The queen is still worth 9 points, but that is irrelevant, so you
might as well say that it is worth 0 points.
I would not expect the point values for the other pieces to change --- they
might though --- this would have to be determined by experimentation (by
stronger players than myself).

I would prefer to do this in Go as I'm learning Go and this would be a good
learning exercise.
If there are no such programs available in Go however, then I could use
another language --- I know C, C++ and Pascal, but not very well, and I
don't like them much.
My background is in Forth (I've done that professionally), but ANS-Forth
killed Forth in 1994, so nobody really uses Forth anymore.

thanks for any links --- Hugh

My ultimate goal with Go is to write a program to "understand" the Ido
language, at least insomuch as generating a grammar diagram for a sentence
and determining if the sentence is grammatical.
It could go from there to generating an English or Spanish translation. I
have a lot to learn about Go before I tackle such a program however.

Does Go run on smart-phones? I have only heard of Java and Objective-C
being used. I have no interest in learning Java, and not much interest in
Objective-C.

This program lends itself well to parallel processing. The meaning and
part-of-speech (POS) of each word in an Ido sentence is
context-insensitive, so the words can be analyzed in parallel.
I have designed a multi-core Forth processor that can be built into an FPGA
--- that is what I would like to use --- build a handheld device to do the
translation.