On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 4:45:39 PM UTC-7, matthe...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hugh,
>
> Go is a general purpose programming language that is open source and
> permissively licensed, and there is no obvious reason for Google or other
> contributors to change this. I strongly recommend it for your project,
> although Clownfish is a robust existing project. Maybe I’ll have a mature
> open-source licensed Go chess engine to share in the future, but that won’t
> be for a few years. But please do consider using Go, it fixes many general
> programming problems that apply to any language and compiles to many
> platforms.

Clownfish? What is that? You mentioned Stockfish previously.

A chess program written from scratch is somewhat beyond my abilities. I do
know how the alpha-beta algorithm works because I have a book on it that I
bought in the 1980s --- that is not the same as being able to wrote a
strong chess program.
I actually delved into this a little bit at one time, when I was interested
in Chinese Chess (also called Xiang Qi, not to be confused with Wei Qi) ---
writing a chess program is a lot more difficult than you might suppose!
My Elphaba Chess is just a minor variation from International Chess --- not
like Chinese Chess that is a distant cousin of International Chess, at best
--- I would expect that a minor modification of an existing International
Chess program should work pretty well for Elphaba Chess.

A chess program written in Go would be interesting though --- for one
thing, the alpha-beta algorithm lends itself well to parallel-processing
--- parallel-processing seems to be Go's strong suit.

While I recommend Go as a general purpose language (an improved C) I also
> think that convincing management of a commercial company that this
> relatively young language will always have support will be a tough battle,
> and more groups of people need to commit to contribution for the language
> to grow past this barrier. I apologize if my assumptions are incorrect, but
> my understanding is that Go would not exist if Google did not pay for it
> initially, and if Google removed support (such as by privatizing Go 2) the
> public would have a compiler and specification that while great are not yet
> as mature as C++ or Python and would no longer have daily support and does
> not have a clear organization or set of organizations to inherit it.
>
> My assumption is that Google management will look out for the company's
> best interests even if that means going against what its employees want,
> that Google has the capability to own the language on their own, and that
> the critical path of Go is primarily developed today by and for Google.
> Open source does not mean perpetually supported and updated in reasonable
> time for commercial use, although Go seems to have support available for an
> indefinite future.

AFAIK, Go is not tied to Google's server-side code development, although
was invented for that purpose.
It is available for general-purpose programming. I doubt that Google would
pull the rug out from under all the Go programmers, as that would be a
public-relations nightmare. Most likely they would just abandon ownership
of Go and put it in the public-domain so that anybody could fork it.
This might actually be a good thing.

In the Forth world, we had the ANS-Forth Standard in 1994. This was just a
marketing gimmick from Forth Inc. intended to convince the world that Forth
Inc. sets the standard for Forth and all Forth programmers are totally
dependent upon Forth Inc. for leadership.
>From a technical standpoint, ANS-Forth was a failure in every possible way.
This was a truly awful design --- obviously written by sales-people ---
totally uninformed by computer-science (the sales-people don't know what
reentrancy is, for example, as they use global variables for passing data
between functions).

Having a corporation possess 100% control over a language can be a problem.
Sales-people get put in charge, and the whole thing spirals down into
idiocy.
AFAIK, this hasn't happened with Go yet --- Google has programmers in
charge of the language --- this could change, as programmers cost money
whereas sales-people work for free.
If Google pulls their programmers from the Go project and put sales-people
in charge instead, it would be best for all the independent Go programmers
to just fork their own version and forget about Google.
The worst-case scenario is that sales-people design a version of Go that is
worthless, then push this through ANSI so they can declare their "ANS-Go"
to be the Standard (with a capital 'S') and declare everybody else to be
non-standard wanna-bees --- that is what happened with ANS-Forth.