On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 7:41:24 AM UTC-7, matthe...@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't speak for the language developers but as far as I can tell Go is
> always going to be tied to Google's business of datacenter-based network
> and web services, so if you want your game as something other than hosted
> on a network server then you may be better off with a language specialized
> for your platform of choice like Swift for iOS (an improved Objective-C),
> Java for Android, Javascript for a web browser implementation, or a
> language for desktop apps. Although in my opinion Go is a better C and I'd
> use it for general purpose programming with the garbage collector in mind.
> My understanding is that Go does have a compiler path for ARM devices.

If Go is always going to be tied to Google's business of datacenter-based
network and web services, then I should abandon Go entirely, as I have no
interest in that subject --- I don't work for Google --- they aren't going
to hire me.

I have no interest in Swift --- I don't work for Apple --- they aren't
going to hire.

I have no interest in Java as I don't like it for various reasons that I
won't go into here --- I am mostly interested in micro-controllers, but I
want a good language for desktop-computer programming too  --- I might get
interested in smart-phones if a good programming language were available.

I just want a general-purpose programming language. There is C++ of course,
but I don't like it for various reasons that I won't go into here.

Chess requires promotion, en passant, and castling, all three of which add
> unique cases to the engine or interface, so keep those in mind as you
> begin. You may look at Stockfish (
> https://github.com/official-stockfish/Stockfish) for an open-source
> regular chess engine written in C++. Modifying Stockfish may be a good path
> although if you distribute it in any way then you must provide the source
> code because of the GPL.

I know C++ reasonably well --- I will look into modifying Stockfish to
support Elphaba Chess.

I don't think that promotion, en passant or castling will be a problem
given my rule change (the queen can't capture or be captured) .