The code isn't licensed for use (please don't modify it for your variation)
but it's posted on github publicly, feel free to read my HTTP server with
database backend for inspiration of how such a thing could
work: https://github.com/pciet/wichess

There's a web client that works on smartphones at
https://github.com/pciet/wichess/tree/master/web/html. I'd say the process
of making such a thing is involved (responsive web
design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design) but with web
you don't have to deal with app stores. Running a custom app isn't great on
iOS and I can't speak for other platforms.

I don't speak for the language developers but as far as I can tell Go is
always going to be tied to Google's business of datacenter-based network
and web services, so if you want your game as something other than hosted
on a network server then you may be better off with a language specialized
for your platform of choice like Swift for iOS (an improved Objective-C),
Java for Android, Javascript for a web browser implementation, or a
language for desktop apps. Although in my opinion Go is a better C and I'd
use it for general purpose programming with the garbage collector in mind.
My understanding is that Go does have a compiler path for ARM devices.

Chess requires promotion, en passant, and castling, all three of which add
unique cases to the engine or interface, so keep those in mind as you
begin. You may look at Stockfish
(https://github.com/official-stockfish/Stockfish) for an open-source
regular chess engine written in C++. Modifying Stockfish may be a good path
although if you distribute it in any way then you must provide the source
code because of the GPL.

Matt