I’m *very* happy to see this announcement.

There’s no technical advantage to having mail builtin to GAE and it’s a
waste of developer resources that would be better spent building the things
that aren’t cheap commodity services. I want new features for the
datastore, a more responsive console, Java8, etc. Or cheaper instances.
These are things that only Google can give me. I can (and have) switched
email service providers in an hour.

The GAE mail service sucks. It’s funny that someone is commenting on the
deliverability of SendGrid because you have _no idea_ what the
deliverability of GAE mail. GAE doesn’t report those statistics, which is
its first major failing (among many). Don’t like SendGrid? Use MailGun or
Elasticemail or any of the literally hundreds of others that are merely an
HTTP call away.

I would love to see all the crufty bits of GAE pruned (XMPP, I hope you’re
next). I want GAE to do a handful of critical things really well rather
than a lot of commodity things poorly.

Jeff

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CADK-0ujs%3D6ZNMLd8RJyE%3Dowp-LD1V4e72_ROX-0zvYTRmJz%3Dzg%40mail.gmail.com.