I have a few thoughts, and I want to emphasize once again that although I
used to be on the Code Jam team, I no longer am.

First: I don't think Hidden sets are really run after the contest. At the
end of the Qualification Round, all scores were visible immediately. We
used to judge Large inputs as they were submitted and just not show the
results until the end, and I'm assuming that's true with the new platform.

Second: "Hidden/large should be about performance" is a reasonable
philosophy, but it isn't a philosophy that Code Jam has held to
historically. You can find lots of problems where there's a simple
algorithm that would be correct on the Small, and incorrect (not just slow)
on the Large. With that said, all data sets are designed to test the
program as much as possible, so if your code was broken by the Invisible
input in a way that it *could* have been broken on the Visible input,
that's certainly something they'll be trying to avoid.

Third, about whether we should know whether our submissions timed out or
not on Hidden sets: It's certainly true that that's a difference, though as
Felix points out it isn't like you could *do* anything about it before
unless you acted very fast. You just knew you didn't have the points, which
typically doesn't matter all *that* much.

You might be interested to hear that when we first designed the small/large
input set system, we viewed the ability to see TLEs as a down-side of the
new system, when for Large inputs you weren't supposed to know whether you
got it. It's interesting to see it come around the other way!

I *would* like to see the running time for my Visible submissions, since
right now I don't have a sense for how quickly anything runs on the server,
other than that making a 15x15 square on the Interactive problem for 100
inputs takes more than 10 seconds.

Cheers,
Bartholomew