On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 avr, 08:30, Vitali Lovich <vlov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure that's wrong - inserting things into a table, detached or
> > not, will still result, AFAIK, in DOM operations.
>
> ...but DOM operations on a detached tree is much faster because it
> cannot cause a reflow or repaint (same for display:none DOM subtree).
> See
> http://ajaxian.com/archives/browser-reflows-how-do-they-affect-performance

I think you need to re-read that.  That applies to CSS not Javascript.
Since Javascript is single-threaded (even with HTML5, DOM manipulation can
only happen on 1 thread so this is still correct), these will not (at least
they shouldn't from what I understand of browsers) trigger any reflows or
repaints until the browser gets control back (when you finishing making all
your DOM updates or if you use incremental commands).

Thus you shouldn't see any performance benefits over inserting into a
detached node or an attached node.

> and in general the articles in http://ajaxian.com/by/topic/performance

> (you'd have to understand GWT internals to make use of some of the
> advices; for instance, queueing [1] maps to GWT's DeferredCommand --do
> not forget to push "pause" in the command queue-- and

I believe that pauses aren't strictly necessary unless you know you
absolutely need them because the information in the DOM won't be available
until the next iteration of the event loop (I'm not 100% sure on this, so I
could be very wrong).

> IncrementalCommand; and the memoizer can hardly be done as proposed

Memoization is simply a technique for caching results of expensive
calculations - language independant concept (even if expressed differently)