On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 11:59 AM Peter Saint-Andre via governance <
governance@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> Mozilla is now a mid-size organization (~1100 people) with a wide
> variety of roles, functions, and teams: not just engineers, but HR, IT,
> legal, marketing, security, operations, business development, etc. It's
> simply not wise (or in some situations even allowable) for folks in
> those parts of the organization to work "in the open" or without
> authentication of the participants. The reason this conversation is
> nuanced and difficult is that it's hard to draw the line between what
> belongs in the open and what doesn't.

Well put. I'd agree that drawing this line is challenging, but it's
absolutely something worth doing. Currently there are many
discussions happening behind closed doors which should be
open. Conversely there are likely discussions happening in the
open which should be behind closed doors.

In my opinion, having *any* line is better than the status quo. So
I'll repeat my request for some sort of official guideline. Having a
very basic policy at least gives us a place to start, it can be tuned
as we go. It will help us ensure our closed discussions are closed for the
right reasons (of which I don't consider pretty interface to
be one).

Lastly, another issue discussed here is the fragmentation of chat
applications. I don't personally see this as a huge deal (though can
understand why others might find it frustrating). If enough people
are frustrated, maybe we need to switch away from both IRC and
Slack to something that provides a better experience for both open
and closed communication in the same place (as Sean was
suggesting). Though my preference would be to just stick with IRC
+ Slack as that is where the momentum is.

- Andrew