On 8/17/18 8:26 PM, Nicholas Nethercote via governance wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 4:16 AM, mhoye via governance <
> governance@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>

>> I think that we need to have a nuanced and probably difficult conversation
>> about what openness means, and what working in the open means on the modern
>> internet.
>>

> In general, I think everything you said is reasonable, but I'm having
> trouble connecting it to the specific issue of IRC vs. Slack.

If we change mhoye's "modern internet" to "modern Mozilla", the
challenges become clearer.

Mozilla is now a mid-size organization (~1100 people) with a wide
variety of roles, functions, and teams: not just engineers, but HR, IT,
legal, marketing, security, operations, business development, etc. It's
simply not wise (or in some situations even allowable) for folks in
those parts of the organization to work "in the open" or without
authentication of the participants. The reason this conversation is
nuanced and difficult is that it's hard to draw the line between what
belongs in the open and what doesn't.

Peter