------ Original Message ------
From: "Benjamin Kerensa via governance" <governance@lists.mozilla.org>

It’s definitely a problematic situation and I think it demonstrates how Mozilla is drifting more and more from its manifesto and values towards a more corporate and closed community. Mozilla embraces more closed practices today than it did just a few years ago.

I think that we need to have a nuanced and probably difficult conversation about what openness means, and what working in the open means on the modern internet.

I still believe that an open, participatory Mozilla matters. I still think that working in the open is core to the identity of the project and the success of the mission. But I worry that our definition of openness, and our understanding of the practical realities of working in the open, was born on an internet that no longer exists.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that a lot of us got our start when an internet connection was a novelty and there were lots of real barriers between the network and the average person. When "working in the open", for the most part, meant working in front of an audience that was lucky enough to go to university or college, whose parents could afford a computer at home, who lived somewhere with broadband or had one of the relatively few jobs where the company network let port 80 in from the outside world.

What working in the open _didn't_ mean, though, was doxxing, cyberstalking, botnets, gamergate, weaponized social media tooling, carrier-grade targeted-harassment-as-a-service and state-actor psy-op/disinformation campaigns that roll by like bad weather. But that's sure as hell part of what working in the open involves now. And I don't know I could ask a friends and colleague to participate in forums that have no way to ablate or mitigate any of that, and still think of myself as being a just and responsible person.

I'm taking about authenticated infrastructure here, which is sort of a poor proxy for the far more important idea of _accountable_ infrastructure, but you see what I mean.

My sense is that a lot of our discussions about openness are anchored in the idea of people's freedom to participate, and about the limitations placed on those freedoms, and I don't think that's enough. We need to stand up for the idea that people participating in the Mozilla project deserve to be free _from_ the brand of arbitrary, mechanized harassment that thrives on unaccountable infrastructure. I mean, how many of us use adblockers? Would anyone here be willing to turn off our junk mail filters?

In a sense, I see that as the future of Mozilla's mission, and our responsibility to the Web; that we're not here merely to defend your freedom to participate in the Mission, or in the Web, but to break new ground and mount a positive defense of people's opportunities to participate. And on the other side of that coin, to aspire not merely to allow Mozillians freedom from arbitrary harassment, but to even the possibility of that harassment.

There's a lot of subtlety here, and a lot of careful conversations about accessibility and tooling that will require a lot of empathy, because a lot of things that look like quotidian routine to one Mozillian can seem insanely, unacceptably dangerous to another, and Mozilla belongs to both of them.

I think we should work in the open. I think  we should default to open.

But I think we need to be _really_, _really_ honest with ourselves about what open means, and what we're asking of people when we use that word. We're probably going to find that there's not one right answer. But we're definitely not going to find any answers that matter in the present day if the only place we're looking is backwards.

- mhoye