I'm sorry this is long and ranty and late.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Nicholas Nethercote" <n.netherc...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Open communication and Slack

In general, I think everything you said is reasonable, but I'm having trouble connecting it to the specific issue of IRC vs. Slack. Are there people who have abandoned IRC in favour of Slack due to harassment or similar reasons? (That's a genuine question, I don't know.)

To me, the difference between IRC and Slack comes down to two things.

- Slack is a bit prettier, easier for newbies, and has a few more bells and whistles. (Though a good client like IRCCloud makes the IRC experience very close to the Slack experience.)

- Slack is proprietary and non-open. (The latter characteristic could help avoid harassment issues.)

If one of the practical goals of Mozilla's aspirations to openness and open development is accessibility - that is, reducing or removing barriers to participation - then I think we need to pull apart the different meanings of the word "open", that we frequently if unintentionally use as if the same word meant all the same things to all the same people.

If you're comfortable digging into code and standing up your own services, "open" as in "open source" is likely to be a core part of your sense of personal safety and agency - this is how you maintain some degree of control over your destiny, how you avoid the indignities of data loss, corporate exploitation and community collapse.

"Open", in this reading, inextricably ties source control and source transparency to individual agency. The checks and balances of openness in this context are about standards, data formats, and the ability to export or migrate your data away from sites or services that threaten to go bad or go dark. This view has very little to say - and is often hostile to the idea of - granular access restrictions, those being the tools of this worldview's bad actors.

Personally, I believe this view dates to a time where we could pretend those access controls didn't exist because they were handled, invisibly, elsewhere; university admission or corporate hiring, for example.

In contrast, organizational openness - that is, openness viewed through the lens of the accessibility and the experience of participation in the organization itself - puts the safety and transparency of the organization and the people in it first, and considers the openness of work products and data retention as secondary; sometimes (though not always) the open-source nature of the products emerges as a consequence of the nature of the organization, but the details of how that happens are community-first, code-second.

"Openness" in context is about accessibility and physical and emotional safety, and the ability to participate without fear. The checks and balances are principally about inclusivity, accessibility and community norms, codes of conduct and their enforcement.

These two views aren't going to be easy to reconcile, because the ideas of what "accountability" looks like in both contexts - and more importantly, the _mechanisms of accountability_ built into the systems born from both contexts - are worse than just incompatible; they're not even addressing something the other worldview is able to recognize as a problem.

And even that glosses over the institutional needs Mozilla has in managing risk while supporting a broad spectrum of what we call openness, which is a whole other tier of complexity. The differences between Slack and IRC are a lot deeper than "Slack is a bit prettier and easier for newbies", when we're talking about institutional risk management.

But to drag this back to where we started, let me put it to you this way: we cannot, as an organization, end up in a situation where asking somebody to participate in open development is functionally indistinguishable from asking them to walk home at night alone.

People cannot be equal participants in environments where they are subject to wildly unequal risks. We'd be deluding ourselves if we called systems that are just too dangerous for some people to participate in _at all_ "open" just because you can clone the source and stand up your own copy.

So I don't know what the answer to this is, but I do know that the IRC spam we've been seeing is just a taste of how bad that experience can become, particularly for anyone specifically targeted. IRC's current borderline-unusability is happening _precisely because_ it is structurally difficult to mitigate bad actors on that platform.

In contrast we do have a way for community members to join Slack. It's a bit more labor intensive than "/join", but the process includes clear communication about community norms and expectations, clarity around the CoC and an ability to keep out the jerks.

Both are in some sense of the word open; both are, to a different view, effectively closed.

Personally, I think that we need to err on the side of providing a safe, constructive working environment for our colleagues, even if that means we need to leverage tools we don't own or can't fork.

- mhoye