Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 10:11:46PM -0400, Christopher Morrow:
> So, back to your discuss though:
>   "BGP speakers SHOULD only accept and honor BGP announcements carrying
>    the BLACKHOLE community if the announced prefix is covered by a
>    shorter prefix for which the neighboring network is authorized to
>    advertise."
> 
> (note that 'shorter' is used here...again making the above bit more
> confiusing with smaller/larger)
> 
> MUST vs SHOULD for this, I do think the MUST would be easy to handle. Is
> this a problem in an RS situation? Probbaly not... on the RS, but on the
> distant peer, it likely is hard(er) to deal with. I don't imagine many folk
> prefix filter the RS session very tightly only because memberships come/go
> and you may not always get timely notice (I have no idea when people
> come/go at the IX's I connect to).
> 
> So, SHOULD makes some sense to me, at least in the RS peer/distant-peer
> world. Surely for direct BGP peerings MUST is a better idea, I think.

or strike the language altogether.  it is unnecessary.  if it is their
prefix and they want to blackhole it - whatever, their prerogative.

> I really question why this is a "SHOULD" and not a "MUST", even in an
> > informational RFC. Is the ability for a transit provider so loose that
> > appropriate route filters from a peer ASN can't be applied so that only a
> > "SHOULD" is practical? In which case I do question the sanity of making
> > such a recommendation and thus service available if some other ASN might
> > be able to inject the route and affect another service, even by mistake.
> > Potentially if RPKI is in use, then a peer AS might be able to validate
> > the announcement against a ROA. But it strikes me that this is not the
> > machinery you would want to tack on in this case.
> >
> >
> job and I chatted a bit about this (oddly, prior to your note here) and one
> thing to keep in mind with RPKI is that the ROA Owner (publisher?) would
> have to first know their special-prefix was going to be attacked, then set
> the ROA up (as a /32 or as a supernet -> /32). I'm skeptical of that being
> done, certainly today there are virtually no /32 ROA in the system.
> 
> RPKI probably isn't the tool to use here, for this.

I am not knowledgable of every facet of rpki, but I thought that it was
possible to express /length-or-longer?  But Randy has already pointed
that rpki doesnt cover communities; to middle men can alter it.

> > The same could be said for section 3.2. I would be rather wary of NOT
> > adding a NO_ADVERTISE (at the very least) and to be honest SHOULD still
> > seems far too loose for me. Almost all of the recipe's that I've gazed
> > upon
> >
> >
> ... you trailed off... I bet it was something like:"gazed upon require/use
> NO-advertise on the ISP side and no-export on the customer side
> 
> that's the recipe I setup when last i was an ISP...
> I think the hesitancy for 'MUST' there is that there are cases in use today
> where you would send a route-server the /32 + commnuity and WANT that to
> get to the remote peers.
> 
> If the RS did 'no-advertise' the route won't make it to the remote peer :(

and no-advertise is almost certainly wrong for most - it implies that you
carry the traffic from a remote location to the penultimate hop before the
customer only to /dev/null it there.

> > >From a comment point of view, this informational document is agnostic on
> > any operational differences between 2-byte and 4-byte ASNs. Is that
> > intentional? Are there any operational differences worth calling out in
> > regard to using extended communities etc?

Not that I know of; orthogonal.

_______________________________________________
GROW mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

Reply via email to