On 5/08/2016, 1:12 AM, "Christopher Morrow" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>
>
>On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Terry Manderson
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>
>On 4/08/2016, 12:11 PM, "Christopher Morrow"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>
>>So, back to your discuss though:
>>  "BGP speakers SHOULD only accept and honor BGP announcements carrying
>>   the BLACKHOLE community if the announced prefix is covered by a
>>   shorter prefix for which the neighboring network is authorized to
>>   advertise."
>>
>>
>>(note that 'shorter' is used here...again making the above bit more
>>confiusing with smaller/larger)
>>
>>
>>MUST vs SHOULD for this, I do think the MUST would be easy to handle. Is
>>this a problem in an RS situation? Probbaly not... on the RS, but on the
>>distant peer, it likely is hard(er) to deal with. I don't imagine many
>>folk prefix filter the RS session very
>> tightly only because memberships come/go and you may not always get
>>timely notice (I have no idea when people come/go at the IX's I connect
>>to).
>>
>>So, SHOULD makes some sense to me, at least in the RS peer/distant-peer
>>world. Surely for direct BGP peerings MUST is a better idea, I think.
>>
>
>I think then there is a difference here worth pointing out. It isn't a
>"one size fits all" approach and the nuances are important.
>
>
>
>
>
>can you propose some text that the authors could inject?
> 

Suggested text:

BGP speakers in a direct peering relationship MUST only accept and honor
BGP announcements carrying the BLACKHOLE community if the announced
prefix is covered by a shorter prefix for which the neighboring
network is authorized to advertise. In topologies where a Route Server
or other distant-peer relationships, BGP speaker SHOULD accept and honor
BGP 
announcements under the same conditions.



>>
>>job and I chatted a bit about this (oddly, prior to your note here) and
>>one thing to keep in mind with RPKI is that the ROA Owner (publisher?)
>>would have to first know their special-prefix was going to be attacked,
>>then set the ROA up (as a /32 or as a
>> supernet -> /32). I'm skeptical of that being done, certainly today
>>there are virtually no /32 ROA in the system.
>>
>>
>>RPKI probably isn't the tool to use here, for this.
>
>Agreed. Please explicitly state this. I could honestly see that someone
>falling into the (sad) trap of:
>A) we are being DDoS'd
>B) we need to BLACKHOLE a.b.c.d/32
>c) Provider X says RPKI ROA first
>D) DDoS'd, so can't push ROA == Fail.
>
>Moreover, if the BGP peer IS RPKI validating and the ROA is structured to
>have a maxLength=/24 and the prefix owner wants to blackhole a particular
>/32, the validation state would be INVALID.
>
>That implies that this technique is blocked by RPKI validation, yes? no?
>I'm no expert on juniper/cisco in-code validation logic. If I am following
>the logic correctly, if you want to blackhole by sending a more specific
>blackhole tagged route to your BGP peer for blackhole purposes, that peer
>must not do RPKI validation or the ROA needs to be setup in advance. Which
>seems a non-starter for RPKI as nearly every ROA would then need a
>maxLength of a /32 or /128 *JUST INCASE* an address within a least
>specific prefix was targeted in a DDoS.
>
>>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>COMMENT:
>>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>>From a comment point of view, this informational document is agnostic on
>>any operational differences between 2-byte and 4-byte ASNs. Is that
>>intentional? Are there any operational differences worth calling out in
>>regard to using extended communities etc?
>>
>
>Any feedback on the comment?
>
>
>
>
>
>nope, I think extended communities with 4byte-asn is a problem though :(
>
>
>
>

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature

_______________________________________________
GROW mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

Reply via email to