Ludovic Courtès <[email protected]> writes:

My proposal is to set up a moderation team, separate from maintainers, whose sole responsibility would be CoC enforcement and that could be
held accountable.  The implications as I see it would be:

1. A fixed-term mandate for moderation team members, both to avoid
     fatigue and to reduce the risk of continued biases.

  2. Mandatory transparency reports that the team would send
periodically to summarize its actions (without giving any details
     on the cases themselves).

3. Revocable mandate in case its mission is not fulfilled (version 1.4
     of the Contributor Covenant, which was used before commit
4254d74b4ca6d4aa78b7fa055fc9ec72a2e93ad3, included such a clause).

This sounds reasonable to me.

Back when I was a co-maintainer, my assumption was that we would rotate
maintainers regularly for the following reasons:

- to avoid burnout, as maintainers were responsible both for dealing with CoC enforcement and releases --- both not the most pleasant tasks;

- to de-emphasize the perceived authority of those holding the role, and
 thus to dilute the effects that a grown hierarchy (even for
 bureaucratic purposes) can imprint on a community over time;

- to ensure that there's a path for any contributor to taking over more
 responsibility as roles were transparently shuffled often.

Things didn't quite pan out this way, but it's not too late to correct this, so I'm happy for this call for participation... even though I
won't be able to volunteer my time.

--
Ricardo

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to