Hi Ludo and Guix,

I am not part of any teams, so if I'm making a faux pas by writing to
this channel, then please by all means disregard my mail and my
apologies. However, I have previously submitted a couple of patches
(my Codeberg alias is 'nemin', if this email somehow messes it up) and
I've been following the recent development around GCD008 and so have
caught this message of yours. I wanted to reflect on one particular
part that I think could be interesting to consider. Namely:

> 2. Mandatory transparency reports that the team would send
>    periodically to summarize its actions (without giving any details
>    on the cases themselves).

As someone who moderated various communities for around in total 11
years and as someone who avidly enjoys taking part in the
programming-related link aggregator Lobste.rs which utilizes a
moderation methodology like this: I think you cannot effectively
half-open moderation.

You can either have fully closed moderation (this, in my humble
opinion, sucks and is only applicable for extremely hierarchical
groups and communities where a single misdeed can carry huge
repercussions and there is absolutely no place for disputes). Or you
can have fully open moderation. This is, as mentioned before, what
Lobste.rs does[0] and in my (and, from what I can see, the majority's)
opinion, it results in a far healthier mutual engagement between
moderators and users.

Associating disciplinary actions with names ensures a level of
impartiality, because grudges quickly become very obvious. Dubious
cases may be raised and discussed (in an appropriate way, be that a
personal email towards the mod or a public chain if it's
warranted). And there is never a feeling of moderators being "above"
anyone else, because they are the ones under highest
scrutiny. Especially, if there is also a mechanism to recall them (be
that a quorum of maintainers or some other high-bar.)

You mentioned that you've not received adequate responses to your own
worries. I don't have the full context, nor (as I'm not part of the
maintainers, nor even the active contributors) any sort of entitlement
to judge, so I won't even try, but what I do hold is that if
moderation were open, then a case like yours could be much more
effectively discussed: Those actually involved could see that there is
an obvious lack of actions and could raise said inaction as a
discussion, that would eventually either prompt a response or a
reaction.

It is my experience and belief, that a "we did X bans, Y warnings, Z
reprimands last month" with zero context and details about the actions
taken only engenders eventual mistrust and a lack of clarity, as users
will only see "negative" actions and not the causes that required
moderators to act. And that will only ever lead to mods burning out
and users loathing and losing trust in people, who just want to do
their job and keep a community tidy.

Thank you kindly for hearing me out.

All the best,
Nemin

[0]: https://lobste.rs/moderations


  • Re: Code of condu... Nemin

Reply via email to