Hi Julien, Ricardo and Ludo, On 2026-10-07 at 12:22+02:00, Julien Lepiller wrote: > Le 7 octobre 2026 17:46+09:00, Nguyễn Gia Phong a écrit : > > 1. How are translations pulled and how to adapt the translation > > file path accordingly? > > 2. How are the manuals on guix.gnu.org built and deployed? > > The translations are handled in <https://codeberg.org/guix/translations/> > We use po4a to generate/update po files, > then we use po4a to update the translated manual. > > In the main repo, we fetch the po files with the download-po target > Makefile.am:1344 > The local manual is generated by the rules in doc/local.mk > And the online version by doc/build.scm
On 2026-10-07 at 11:47+02:00, Ricardo Wurmus wrote: > The Guix manuals are built with doc/build.scm via the guix-manual > procedure in the "maintenance" repository as defined in > hydra/modules/sysadmin/web.scm. > This is a service running on the server hosting guix.gnu.org. Thanks! On 2026-10-07 at 16:17+02:00, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Nguyễn Gia Phong skribis: > > Untrusem and I have just had a brief exchange on IRC > > and we want to try restructuring the cookbook (and manual, etc.) > > to make physical navigation, any thus contributing, easier. > > I would advise against embarking on a restructuring effort of the manual > without prior discussion: as I wrote earlier, key sections were written > with a lot of attention to the detail, and a restructuring effort needs > to account for this and for the many choices that were made along the > way. It’s trickier than it seems! > > The Cookbook is probably more easily amenable to restructuring though, > provided said restructuring is justified. By restructuring I meant physically splitting into a directory structure while maintaining the (hopefully) exact outputs, hence the questions regarding translation and rendering for the web. Since I genuinely don't know Texinfo other than some inline formating, is your mentioned concern still applies? Best wishes, Phong
