I changed the header of this thread to avoid any confusion with the ethical 
discussion now turned IQ thread...

Sue:

The article I was responding to as referenced by Hal implied an implantable 
chip/sensor.  It seemed remarkable to me when they had done so in chimps a 
couple years ago, then trained the chimp to move a cursor with the Pavlovian 
reinforcement of getting food.

The sensor actually was surprisingly non-invasive-- just a small number of 
microfilaments threaded into the brain that acted as antennae.  Then a 
microprocessor/chip actually external to the skull that fed into a computer via 
hardwire.

I would imagine that radio-controlled/wireless interfaces would be easy to 
achieve.  We already use wireless to control spinal stimulators and spinal 
pumps remotely.  Batteries might be a problem, but if most of the power were 
supplied on the computer end, rather than the chip end, maybe you could get 
some decent life out of them.  I'm sure stimulators or pumps chew up at least 
as much juice as a brainwave sensor.  In fact, it's probably passive, so the 
internal unit might not need power at all.

The chimp was also trained to try and form shapes on a computer screen.  So the 
scientists learned while the chimp did, too, programming their computer to 
recognize certain brainwave sequences, then translate that into visual feedback 
for the chimp, then attach that brainwave with visual reinforcement to a reward 
system like food.

My memory fails me, but I think they even got the chimp to play "Pong"-- that 
game that devoured too many hours of my childhood.

It would be interesting to see if someone could be trained to exert a sequence 
of brainwaves via a surface electrode interface a la EEGs.  Maybe a yogi?   You 
would likely have to program such an interface yourself.  Making a fist would 
open a WORD document, for example.  I actually don't think it's farfetched how 
Mr. Dick portrayed computer interfaces in Minority Report, or Prof. Asimov did 
in Foundation's Edge-- that the hands were in fact the keys.  I don't 
necessarily mean hand sensors as in those works of fiction, but hand movements 
with scalp electrodes picking up the associated brainwaves might be the thing.

The prospect of Virtual People in a MySpace environment adds to the 
speculation.  Do we initiate a 1:1 brainwave association in such an 
environemtn-- that is, do we say that making a fist in RL should be programmed 
to move our Sim in the same manner in Virtual Space?

But I'm just speculating based on what I saw.  The only facts so far are 
regarding the chimp.

-vk



> Now can we discuss how our world is becoming more
> cyberpunk or something? Vk, you were saying about
> neural interfaces....
>    I heard that there was a mouse at the U of A that
> they connected to a computer, and I also heard on the
> radio that they had connected a quadrapelegic to a
> brain scanner and had a program that read his brain
> scans and translated them to moving a cursor. That's
> cool non-invasive "decking".... have you heard
> anything about that?
> -Sue
> _______________________________________________
> GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
> http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l


_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to