To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] early Knitting and crochet

I've seen the term "crochet needle" in English-language 19th-century crochet instructions, as a synonym for "crochet hook."

BTW< I also just came across an early 19th-century reference to "knitting wires," for stockings, which I believe just means fine knitting needles.

While I'm all in favor of giving things the correct terms, it is important to recognize that languages just naturally use different names for the same thing and the same name for different things. This is especially true when you're dealing with older versus modern English, and with a field like fashion, where makers and promoters of various goods intentionally apply a new name to the same old product or style just to make it seem more fashionable. If I were trying to judge whether a textile was crocheted or knitted or whatever, I'd look at a photo or drawing of it (the original probably not being available to me), before making any judgments.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Carolyn Kayta Barrows wrote:

were crochetted with a small bone needle."

Crochet cannot be done with any kind of needle. Sorry, but your source must have been written by someone who doesn't know knit from crochet.