On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Dawn wrote:

> otsisto wrote:
>
> > or this
> > http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/EMILIA1560.jpg
> > only a little more fitted in the bodice region.
>
> What is that she is holding in her right hand? It looks like some part
> of her coat. A belt? Or is she holding the hem up? Or is it something else?

I'm 95% certain it's a zibellino (sable pelt, sometimes called "flea fur"
modernly). I've just sent this URL off to Tawny Sherrill, who has spent
many years cataloguing images of zibellini. (She has an article about them
in the next volume of Medieval Clothing & Textiles, due out in the
spring.) She will confirm whether I've got it right; I'm *not* an expert
in reading this period's paintings. I would be very tickled if I've
managed to spot one that she doesn't already have!

--Robin