I've been reading Mistress Blanche: Queen Elizabeth 1's Confidante. The cover picture is the one titled: Queen Elizabeth greeting the Dutch Emissaries. In the background there is a woman the author tentatively identifies as Blanche standing next to a Gentleman in gray whom she identifies as Sir Christopher Hatton. Although his "pumpkin pants" appear to be made up of panes, there isn't lining showing through, nor does the lining show on the other men you can see in the picture. I wonder if the panes might have actually been sewed together like that for shaping purposes?

I do recommend the book for those interested in the people in Elizabeth's life. Mistress Blanche (she is given that title in letters to her and about her during her lifetime which is an interesting item of SCA type information - that Mistress could be considered a proper title for a highly placed and born woman.)

Regina Romsey
From: Elizabeth Walpole<elizabeth.r.walp...@gmail.com>
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Subject: [h-cost] non paned trunkhose pre 1600
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 23:37:35 +1100

Good evening all,

I've been asked to help a friend make a pair of Elizabethan trunkhose (aka
punpkin pants) and they have requested plain single layer trunkhose but all
the extant examples of single layer (instead of panes with the lining pulled
out through the slashes) in Patterns of Fashion are post 1600. So far I've
not been able to find a pictorial or extant example of pre 1600 plain
trunkhose (despite the number of examples I see in this style in modern
costuming) I'm not going to actually make a pair of paned trunkhose (as this
plus a doublet have to be complete by Easter) but I would like to know
whether it is period or a reenactorism.
Any leads on period examples of non paned trunkhose would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks
Elizabeth