On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Adir Abraham wrote:

> > > They already do it. However, they don't have to do it.
> > >

> > Right, and I want them to have to do it, so it will simplify matters for
> > us.
>
> Hmm.. You can't force anyone to buy CDs. Once you do it, you will miss the
> whole point of "free" (it's like forcing someone to buy an "entrance
> ticket" to a free event).

It's free as in speech not free as in beer. Either we burn enough CDs to
give to anyone on our own expense, or tell them that either they buy CDs,
download stuf over an Internet, or simply be content with what they'll get
on their system.

> > Eifhr.
>
> ?! (should I google this?)

Sorry, I meant to say "Right" but my hand was one key to the left on the
keyboard.

> > > You assume that the person: 1) will know how to update (including all
> > > sorts of dependancies). 2) will bother to update. 3) has fast connection to
> > > the Internet. No, it's not a good idea.
> > >

> > Yes, it is. There were a few updates for RedHat 9.0 since the last
> > instaparty, and if the people who installed the computers did not update,
> > there systems are vulnerable now. We can't escape the fact that we cannot
> > leave the newcomers at a clueless stage. Cluelessness doesn't work when
> > dealing with computers.
>
> People do not think of maintenance, usually. The "simple user" will not
> think of updates. Not too soon, whatsoever. He might even wait for the
> systems" (fact, but true). Since no viruses are involved, other security
> issues might not interest him (expolits and others).
> Cluelessness is the default when one uses a computer with a new OS. You
> install to such a person the new OS and from there he would like to have a
> working system. He can RTFM and do other things with it - but he doesn't
> have to.

So you're saying: fine! Let's install a system that can be eventually
exploited for crackers to gain access on the machine and do all kinds of
nasty stuff there. Fine, let's not educate people that they need to be
responsible and clueful when using a computer. Sorry, but it doesn't work
in the long run. It will be bad for them and will be bad for us.

Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You are banished! You are banished! You are banished!

Hey? I'm just kidding!