oops :)

Comment #4 on issue 323 by david...@chromium.org: boringssl fails on
travis-ci/clang-9
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/boringssl/issues/detail?id=323#c4

Looks like the issue is you've managed to convince it that your C compiler
is Clang and your C++ compiler is GCC.

-- The C compiler identification is Clang 9.0.1
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/clang
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/clang -- works
[...]

We use the same flags for the C and C++ compiler, since mixing them is
pretty rare, and it turns out our clang logic is based on the C++ compiler.
I'm guessing you've set the CC environment variable to clang or so? You
need to also point CXX to your clang++.