Thanks Greg,  I did not to that - thanks for the directions.

I am now finally taking all of these valuable lessons and
beginning to organize them - i.e. Kernel, FileMan, error/debugging,
M, etc.. Many of these things have been covered in prior Hardhat
postings - and the core items are in the VDL and now more so on the
Wiki, but it is very kind of you all to continue to discuss them. I
try to annotate the notes with my layman understanding - it is helpful
to have a log of the whole process. No doubt this will be a lifelong
"event" - I guess it should/could even be part of maintaining a VistA
system - no doubt there probably is some routine or group of routines that
accomplishes this, i.e. new user documentation/notes.

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:46:32PM -0700, Gregory Woodhouse wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2006, at 10:22 PM, Ismet Kursunoglu wrote:
>
> >When I try to write to a file it just kicks me out;
> >
> >OUTPUT FROM WHAT FILE: NEW PERSON//
> >SORT BY: NAME//
> >START WITH NAME: FIRST//
> >FIRST PRINT FIELD: .01  NAME
> >THEN PRINT FIELD:
> >Heading (S/C): NEW PERSON LIST// testing
> >DEVICE: HFS  Host File Server
> >GTM>
> >

> Have you tried signing in through ^ZU and then entering Fileman via
> the option DIUSER? In general, when you are "kicked out" like this,
> it's a good idea to trap the error and then examine the error log.
> You  can also do this programmatically if you need to
>

> N $ET,$ES
> S $ET="ERR^your_routine"
> your code here
>
> You can then use the following boiler plate code for the error handler
>
> ERR  ;
> D ^%ZTER ;log the error
> D UNWIND^%ZTER ;unwind the stack (clear the error)
>
> Sometimes you will see other actions, but if all you care about is
> logging whatever error may occur, this will work.
>
> Gregory Woodhouse
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> "Judge a man by his questions not
> his answers."   --Voltaire