> You can't prevent them from pluggin in the cables, though you can make
> the PC not react to their actions.

I don't care if they plug them in. It won't do anything, and that's the
point.

> Why do you have this god complex..."I don't mind them bringing them in
> and using them...just don't attach them to my machines"

It's my job. I'm responsible for the machine. It's my rules--that's the way
it works.

> iPods can be good ways for people to bring/talk work in/out.  Perhaps a
> better solution could be found for the sync issue...it really don't
> sound like a user issue but a problem with software.

There are tools much better suited.

> While you might be able to control what your users can and cannot do on
> company machines, you can't make them productive.  If they want to be
> unproductive...they can stare off into the open air.

But I am charged with making sure that the devices I maintain don't HINDER
productivity. That's the point. When Outlook (a huge productivity tool in a
software shop) is crashing, that's productivity loss. While the specific
example is an isolated case, it speaks to the larger issue...there's a
reason why we have approved software and hardware.

Greg