On 05/16/2012 03:22 AM, Peter Corlett wrote:
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 01:41:09PM -0700, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
[...]
Otherwise I haven't come across this problem in other major languages...
except maybe C. And original C has so many design flaws that the list
would become useless.
You will have to back that up somehow, laddie. And get offa my lawn.

OK, I've got one: C strings. They're error-prone to use and thus result in
security problems, have lousy performance, and you can't store a NUL in
them. That alone is enough to break out C++ and use std::string.

(I can somewhat understand if your basic premise is simply that "if X
isn't a modern scripting language, X is flawed", though I wouldn't take
that as the basic premise.)

I'd like to see somebody try and write an operating system kernel in Perl :)

I'm sure it could be written,  ... once

--
In Reach Technology:    http://www.inreachtech.net/

Robert G. Werner
rob...@inreachtech.net

Tel: 559.304.5122

When you're dining out and you suspect something's wrong, you're probably right.