On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:49 PM Andrew Ruthven <and...@etc.gen.nz> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On Mon, 2020-06-22 at 19:01 -0700, Carl Karsten wrote:
> > Jan 20 2020 v0.0.4-721-gc27ca25
> > it was used in production for a day about 2 weeks ago, so I've marked
> > it as stable.
>
> Thank you.
>
> > the issues we (including me) are bumping into haven't really been
> > demonstrated in a controlled way, like
> > this works with this build, but the same test fails with this new
> > build.  I always fumble around trying to test it manually, because
> > yeah, we don't have good tests.  but we are close! or
> > something....
>
> Having a regression suit that tests against the actual boards sounds
> like a fantastic idea! And yeah, testing with hardware is hard.
>
> > btw - there is a bug/feature/whatever in debian buster:
> >
> > Opsis comes up as 2 video devices on buster
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debconf-video-team/ansible/-/issues/41
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=930860
> >
> > Which I think is going to throw a wrench in my "use vocto to test"
> > plan.
>
> This didn't affect my testing. It appears that GStreamer uses the first
> device by default, which is the one which has the video stream. The
> second one has the metadata. I plugged the board, ran:
>
>   /usr/bin/voctomix-ingest --video-source hdmi2usb
>
> And it worked perfectly.

Ah right.

production is a problem as we use a udev rule fired by the detection of the
usb device being plugged in, and our current code ends up using the
metadata device ends up being the one used.

To see all that in action:
https://github.com/CarlFK/veyepar/wiki/System-Stack#how-to-do-next

and then put your box in the [opsis] role:
https://github.com/CarlFK/video-stack-bin-chicken/blob/master/cboxs/hosts#L33

I am thinking of committing this config somewhere so there is a "Use Opsis
with Voctomix" example but I am not sure where it should live.  the "what
next" hasn't been accepted into the debian video team repo, which is where
I would expect this to be too.  my system stack wiki page is getting a bit
bloated.   I am also not sure this example needs to exist like that as it
is easy enough to create once you get familiar enough with ansible to setup
a production config, and "now" is about the right time to figure that
out.   I think :p

--
Carl K