Using asphalt as a glue is a fascinating idea. The first caveat that comes
to mind is the potential britlleness of cured asphalt under cold extremes.
Yes I see you had a test piece that stayed together, but did you have it
under load or apply dynamic stress to it when it was exposed to your
coldest outdoor temperatures? I am assuming your yurt will be exposed to
buffeting winds, heavy rains, possibly snowpack. Will asphalt or coal tar
maintain the shear strength necessary to keep your yurt upright or will it
crack and allow joints to fail?

Likely there are reasons why tar isn't used as a glue for building
construction and epoxy is.

As a side note, since your application is using a fairly thick polyiso
sheet, have you considered using wood joinery techniques like biscuits,
mortise-and-tenon, or pegging to attach your sheets together? Using epoxy
just on these smaller joint pieces would not require gallons of expensive
glue. And maybe used in conjunction with the asphalt to seal the edges
would be a workable solution.

--Wolf