  Undilah PAS : MENENTANG KEZALIMAN & MENEGAKKAN KEADILAN

Lim Kit Siang's statement

                   I accept the verdict of the people. I accept that
                   we have taken the political risk in this election
                   because we wanted to create a major political
                   breakthrough to smash the political hegemony of
                   BN.

                   If we had contested on our own without
                   associating with other opposition parties to form
                   BA, we were quite confident of winning 20 to 25
                   seats. But DAP was formed not just to get 20 to
                   25 seats but in order to establish and to realise a
                   vision of Malaysia as a country of justice, freedom
                   and good governance.

                   It was the greatest opportunity in the history of
                   Malaysia for such a political breakthrough to take
                   place. That can only come about if DAP
                   cooperated with other opposition parties because
                   DAP alone cannot deny BN's two-thirds majority
                   nor can any other opposition party do it on its
                   own.

                   By cooperating with PAS and BA, we may have an
                   extra 5 to 10 seats, totaling 30 to 35, but we ran
                   the higher risk of being misrepresented by MCA
                   and Gerakan as an instrument of PAS, and that
                   we have betrayed our principles. They have put
                   up banners with words saying that 'the final
                   objective of PAS is to form an Islamic state'. They
                   didn't say that the final objective of DAP is
                   Malaysia should forever remain a democratic and
                   secular country.

                   We took the political risk not for ourselves but for
                   the sake of the people and country, and to
                   restore justice and freedom, democracy and good
                   governance.

                   I have warned that we may lose big or win big.
                   Until the last moment, I was not sure that I could
                   even succeed in Kebun Bunga (state seat) or
                   Bukit Bendera (parliament seat). I felt it was
                   worthwhile for Malaysians to bring about a
                   paradigm shift. I thank the Penang people for
                   their great support and great solidarity. I would
                   especially like to thank all DAP members and
                   supporters.