Manip wrote:

No, his e-mail was access while he was away. His computer was broken into
when he was there reading an e-mail. I understand all that, the only part I
don't understand is how they got the source OUT the internal network. I

The payload of the e-mail exploit was a program that allows basicallty remote control of the PC. With this access he could easily gain access to others and using Gabe's access to the source grabbing the latest source and sending it back to themselves any way they wanted. Once they were in the network, the rest was easy I'm sure.

think the e-mail hack and the source code being take are NOT related even if
they think they are. To get at the internal network they would have to

You didn't understand Gabe's message, see above, a remote attacker had control over his pc.

exploit some piece of software to link the gap, but I doubt it had anything
to do with e-mail (unless it was the e-mail system its self ...) The key
logging software could have been installed after they had access to the

Once they had they had the software on Gabe's computer they wouldn't need to log keys to get his password, they could get it from his outlook settings or by other means.

internal network and used to THEN get his password and read his e-mail, but
if they had that kind of access then they could just as easily take them off
his local machine cache. As I said I don't think they are linked but I'm
basing this off all the information I have read.

Gabe said the source tree was copied then stolen, if it were copied it probably would have been copied from version control.

MyG0t group (www.myg0t.com) has got an internal e-mail which is odd (Got
that info from a forum post).

myg0t does not seem to realize the magnitude of the things they are posting in their forums. I'd expect they are already suspects, given they were among the first to announce the public release of the code. As far as that e-mail goes who knows whats real and whats fake without a statement from Valve on the matter.

-sb