Nothing wrong with compressed files hosted on a website or torrent. I don't
want another piece of software just to keep one (or even a few) mods up to
date. If you give people the option I'm sure most will not want to install
another "mod toaster". You're just making work for yourself trying to find
or develop a solution to a problem that people don't have.

No offense, I've thought about this issue myself and even contributed code
to some early "mod distribution platforms". My experience has been that it
was a waste of time.

Paul