From: "Chris Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
Subject: RE: [hlds] Blocking Client Commands
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 11:51:16 +0100

If you want to be grateful for crumbs at the table, that's your problem
mate. Unless Valve puts a proper system in place where there is published
procedures, where a beta is done for all updates, one beta just because it
helps Valve's nerves, means absolutely nothing to me. I will be testing my
servers on this beta when I get the chance, but I don't have to. As long as
the plugin developers test then great.

If it's not practical to run a beta on every update, it's not practical to
run Steam, a system where thousands of servers are updated overnight,
without a proper beta test.

Also, the person you are replying to, is merely stating fact.

He didn't reply back

"OMFG Valve, you nooblets, you've broken Mani!", he's just reporting back
that Mani is broke, so the rest of us can investigate.

This is the problem. Unless Valve have a procedure that guarantees to the
plugin developers that certain code is going to go live, then why would the
plugin developers patch against it, unless they know for certain, that it's
the exact code that's going to go live?

Alfred keeps maintaining that it's not practical for Valve to do betas for
every update. It's only not practical, because they haven't bothered to
design a system that makes it practical.

Cheers.

Chris.