Vanilla to me is standard rules of play. Maps don't matter IMHO.

Instant respawn is NOT part of the rules of play IMHO as well.

That's the issue. Perhaps I'm coming down to hard on a server owner who
advertises Vanilla with Instant Respawn on by calling him an ass, but I
can also see several owners complaining about traffic and doing the
exact same thing screaming about how those servers without vanilla tags
are "Doomed to fail".

*sighs* I am sorry I called Dan an ass. Perhaps though you can remove
the tags you don't actually use from the server?