-----Original Message-----
From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Matt 'mole' Ashton
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:33 AM
To: 'Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list'

Also, other forums have been available for posting on (srcds.com,
alliedmodders) and people are still here at the mailing list instead. Moving
to the steam forums won't make everything more central, it will separate it
as people will make their own unofficial mailing lists and other avenues of
information rather than flock to the steam forums.

Like many other people have said in these responses, I don't want another
forum or website to remember to read, and I suspect by getting rid of this
mailing list and forcing everyone to use the forum then over time you would
lose a lot of the current knowledgeable and useful responders here and just
end up with more "not-so-useful" posters on the steam forums. So then server
administrators have lost another good form of support and discussion.

Mailing list is convenient, you always get it and have your own copy and
don't have to respond if you don't want to. If you don't like a topic then
you can just erase all e-mails with that subject. You can read on something
that you hadn't thought of or just erase all e-mails. You also have the
preview pane in your e-mail client so its easy to go through the threads at
a glance. It's always "just there".
With a forum you have to go out of your way, clicking back and forth between
threads rather than a glance and slowly people would drop off and you'd get
less of the really helpful people around.

I think this list is great and should be left as-is. I only signed up just
under a year ago and has since caused me to look out for more useful mailing
lists in other things I do regularly.

Matt