I agree mostly, but fuck if wall of text didn't crit me for 10k damage.

Just let me add:
A while back i suggested a new server browser wherein users see where
their friends play a lot, where groupmates play, etc, instead of just
a wall of servers. This helps build communities and draw in players.
Let players see what 'ratings' others *in their steam group/friends
list* had given a server (not just a massive ratings spam system). It
would also give exposure to new/small servers, since a few community
members say 'this place is pretty cool' would give it exposure to the
rest of the community.

At that point it becomes disadvantageous to be in huge spamgroups, and
players will want to be in smaller likeminded groups that let them
find cool servers.

- Neph