Looks great, thanks for the heads up Zoid.

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Zoid Kirsch
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:33 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list; Half-Life dedicated Linux
server mailing list
Subject: [hlds] Upcoming Left 4 Dead Update

As mentioned on the Left 4 Dead blog recently, we're are going to release an
update that adds support for third party custom campaigns.  For server
operators, there are a few significant things to be aware of for this
release.

First off, we're giving authors of new campaigns the ability to put all
their campaign data into a single .VPK file for easy distribution.  On the
server, you just install these in the left4dead/addons folder just like
clients do.  You can install one and activate it on the server without
restarting by entering "update_addon_paths;mission_reload" into the server
console after placing the .VPK file in the addons folder.

Also, we have fixed the fact Left4Dead tends to hog the 63 character server
tags.  We've extended the master servers and the steam API to allow servers
to send up a list of keys separate from tags for matchmaking, up to 1200
bytes in size.  We're moving the sv_search_key, sv_gametypes and
sv_steamgroup tags out of the regular server tags and into this extended
set.  The extended set will also be used by servers to send up a list of the
names of the third party custom campaigns they have installed so players can
find them.  The "sv_showtags" command will now list the normal tags as
public and the extended matchmaking-only tags as private.  The private
matchmaking tags are only communicated between your server and the master
server.  We also extended sv_steamgroup to allow a server to be in multiple
groups by specifying the group IDs separated by commas.

When players now select a custom third party campaign add-on and search for
a dedicated server, it will look at these extended tags for the name and
version of the campaign installed.  Server operators will certainly want to
keep an eye on the various Left 4 Dead add-on websites for popular third
party campaigns and install them for people to play on their server.

--
/// Zoid