I might have been mistaken, I don't know too much about vtables. I've heard
some people talk of having to do it the hard way (taking the object-level
vtable pointer and editing it to redirect to an entirely new table, as
defined by the cheat/application/utility). Either way, my code does
temporarily modify the memory protection on certain addresses in order to
hook and unhook these tables. But like it has been mentioned before - so do
programs that draw in-game like FRAPS. (steam overlay does not, to my
knowledge. They use the surface interface, and may even create a panel, but
I think they just use ISurface externally.)

But what do you mean by untrusted code? Anything that wasn't created by
Valve software? How would they add new modules to the whitelist, because I
have heard (I don't use them) that antiviruses inject themselves into
running processes to detect security threats.