“The Voogru servers are infamous for having blocked all of Something Awful
users via their Lost Continents steam group, who, at least in the pre-hats era
were a very large portion of the TF2 community.”

Perhaps they should have thought about that before sending tons of Goons to my
servers in order to crash them and rage them. I didn’t exactly decide to ban
thousands of people pre-emptively just for the heck of it. It also didn’t help
that significant amounts of people previously banned from my servers were Goons
as well.

“By banning anyone in the Lost Continents group, the Voogru servers were able
to ban 2500-3500 players instantly and forever, despite a particular
individual's actual interest or activity in the group.”

I don’t think people join rage and griefing groups by accident.

With that said, I’m no longer doing checks to ban players for groups they are
in. And most of the automatic bans from this era have been removed for some
time now as well (just a few special cases remaining).

If you are still banned from my servers it’s not from the automatic banning for
groups, but perhaps for something else. I am interested if you are still banned
from my servers. If you message me your steamid I will see if this ban is in
place, and why.

“To put it another way, what if three or four major server groups decided to
ban anyone in a Reddit-related group?”

It’s their loss. It means fewer players on their servers and the goal of the
game is to get players. If you implement massive group bans for trivial or
stupid reasons, your player traffic will suffer and the marketplace will take
care of you.

- Voogru.