Killing off competition? That's not what I was getting at. A proper scoring
system for quickplay would show which servers are good and liked by
players. Be it valve's own or certain community servers. It would also make
it easy for valve to see what features are liked the most. Bad servers will
always pop up. Having a system to combat that would make everybody happy.

And if we are talking about "competition" that's abusing quickplay. They
are the ones being rewarded when valve adds such measures. As they aren't
afraid to lose their playbase with a ban on their server. Which itself is
something that may or may not happen ever again. In the meantime they can
do what they want to keep players on their servers longer. Even when it's
against the quickplay rules. This sort of thing adds up. More players join
such servers and the competition suffers and dies. Then you get some of
their players as well :).

If valve no longer feels like enforcing their own rules then it will only
get worse. Little risk and why should we share players when we can take
each other's? This is the sort of thinking that got us into this mess and
these sort of people will always be around. But there's always ways to deal
with them. Some easier than others.

Any communication from valve would help. They can always go for a bandaid
solution again. It wouldn't help much but it would be very easy to do and
still help a bit in the short term. Make an announcement about a renewed
commitment to the policy of truth (similar to the one before) and do
nothing. Takes very little time and it will scare some people just like it
did last time